How to enable multiple remote desktop user logins in Windows 7
Windows remote desktop connection application can be used in order to connect to another PC on the same network or the internet. Both computers should use Windows and have the “Remote desktop connection” application available. For example, you can use all of your work computer’s programs, files, and network resources from your home computer, and it’s just like you’re sitting in front of your computer at work. You can also use it to access an application that is only installed on a single computer, by multiple users at the same time.
Windows 7 do not allow the concurrent use of a single computer by multiple users. This means that a user needs to be signed out before a second user logs in. This is not the case for the server editions of Windows. Luckily there is a patch that allows you to override this setting and connect multiple users at the same time on a single computer. The will even be able to use the same applications at the same time.
CAUTION: The following steps are probably going against the windows EULA agreement and could cause harm to your computer. I have already tested both of the patched below on windows 7 professional edition installations and could not find any issues.
Patch 1 (Does not work on Win 7 SP1)
The first patch just enables multi-user support for the Windows remote desktop connection tool:
- You need to download the following zip file: Win7RDP.zip.
- Unzip the contents in a folder (let’s say you have used the following path: “C:\Win7RDP\”).
- Execute the file install.cmd by double clicking on it.
- You should see a screen similar to the one below, if everything works fine.
- After the end of the patching process the remote desktop connection of your pc provides multi-user support.
The following patch application lets you choose whether or not to enable multiuser support for the remote desktop connection process or/and to disable the no blank password policy that is enforced on users that need to connect remotely. Follow the steps below to access the application.
- Download the file Concurrent_RDP_Patcher_2-22-2011.zip
- Open the compressed file and execute the file “Concurrent RDP Patcher.exe”
- You should see the following screen
- Check the desired options and then click the patch button.